Quotations (was Re: _Microraptor zhaoianus_)

In a message dated Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:46:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
"Mickey_Mortimer" <Mickey_Mortimer@email.msn.com> writes:

> Oops! :-[ Heh heh. Sorry about that! Thought there
> might be some good reason this is never done, but
> what about abstracts?   These are often copied into
> posts, presumedly without the author's consent.
I have a message in to Nature's Permissions Department, but I did talk to Karen
Lentz of Science Online.
I inquired about Science's policy on posting abstracts on the Internet.  She
said that permission would have to be requested first.  They typically grant
such permission, but one would first have to supply the website's url and other
pertinent information.

> Is the case different for one paragraph of abstract
>  than it would be for six paragraphs of description
>  (note I didn't copy the entire paper.
There are a number of sites which address copyright law on the Internet, and
Mickey Rowe and I would rather not get involved in a copyright infringement
lawsuit. It is preferable to post a url to a news article than the whole
article, especially if it has "copyright...not to be reproduced, published, all
rights reserved, etc...." News articles do have these warnings, even though
they are freely available on the Net.

Nature and Science articles are not free, however.  Web access to their full
content is limited to paying subscribers, complete with sign-in and password.
If one reproduces their _Microraptor_ article on, for instance, the Dinosaur
List, their on-line revenues may be impacted. This would not be looked upon
favorably or as "fair use," but as theft of intellectual property.

Post a url, quote a few lines, summarize in your own words, start a discussion,
or get permission to post the article.

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com