Re: Quotations (was Re: _Microraptor zhaoianus_)

Mary wrote:

>>I inquired about Science's policy on posting abstracts on the Internet.
She said that permission would have to be requested first.  They typically
grant such permission, but one would first have to supply the website's url
and other pertinent information.<<

While I recognize the list administrators' right to set rules for posting
quotations to the list, and will certainly respect those rules, as a
professional author (of both palentological papers and fiction) I don't think
that posting an abstract from SCIENCE (or anywhere else) would actually
constitute a case of copyright infringement. SCIENCE may say otherwise, and
it's probably best to abide by their wishes, but to quote the U.S. Copyright
Office's "fair use" FAQ:

>>47.How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?

       Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is
permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes
such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There
are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a
certain number of musical notes, or percentages of a work. Whether a
particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See
Circular 21 and FL 102.<<

It's atrociously complicated. For more information, see the above documents,
both of which are available free as .pdf files at the U.S. Copyright Office's
website:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

Caitlin R. Kiernan