Re:

In a message dated 12/8/00 2:27:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
nrlongri@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

<< So that was pretty cool. It was on the one hand exhilarating to
 see so much stuff and see so much information, but it also hurts when it
 knocks holes in nyour nice, neat little theories and reveals how much you
 have to learn... even with the real bone in front of you there is so much
 left to learn. I feel like 90% of what I learned on that trip is what
 shelf everything was on. Listen: you've GOT TO SEE THE REAL STUFF. Papers
 aren't useless or we wouldn't publish them, but it's vitally, crucially,
 monstrously important to see the real stuff, in person, free of prejudice
 and with an open mind and a keen sense of your own ignorance so that you
 can be ready to find something out... Real material. Get rid of all those
 interpretations- illustrations and descriptions- placed between you and
 the real things.  >>

   This is a splendid epiphany if there ever was one, and terrific advice.
Beautiful!
Dan Varner.