From: Dinogeorge@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: logic; BCF (going gets tough)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 14:21:54 EST

In a message dated 12/9/00 12:20:22 PM EST, kinman@hotmail.com writes:

<< I think it is still up in the air whether or not current dinosaur
cladograms are flawed on the question of whether dinosaurs came first (still
widely embraced) or birds came first (BCF). >>

One simply cannot tell from a cladogram what the common ancestral forms were
like for any group of theropod dinosaurs and birds. The common ancestor could
have been more like dinosaurs, it could have been more like birds, it could
have been rather unlike either one, or it could have been like a mixture of
both (whatever that might mean). The orthodox position seems to be that these
common ancestors were like the dinosaurs (terrestrial cursorial bipeds), but
there's no basis other than mental inertia for thinking that this should be
the case. BCF asserts it makes better evolutionary sense to imagine the
common ancestral forms as being more like birds (arboreal climbers, gliders,
and fliers), particularly since this provides some pretty obvious reasons for
a whole lot of features seen in theropod dinosaurs that otherwise have no
rationale for their existence.