Re: climbing dromaeosaurs and friends

< For example, why did you think that your argument from authority ("...but
this should not be a surprise to anyone given an understanding of the
morphology of its hip joint.") was persuasive, but when I did the same
("The utter lack of acceptance...") it was worthy of your belittlement
("Although I do not accept Larry Martin's reconstruction of Archaeopteryx,
let's not dismiss it just because it is unpopular--let's rely on evidence.")
I was aware when I made the remark that it was an argument from authority.>

This is not to disagree with your contention in any way, but both arguments
you quote would be unsuccessful as appeals to authority.
The third rule for a successful argument from authority is that there must
be sufficient unanimity among experts.  (Before reading your post, I'd just
been musing that in a field as contentious and contrary as paleontology,
appeals to authority are _usually_ more a summoning of allies than an
argument.  Startled by the coincidence.)
The first two rules are that the person is in fact an expert and (second)
that s/he is talking about his/her area of expertise.  There are a total of
6 rules.  Here's a url if you're interested:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
If it doesn't work immediately, try running your mouse over it with the left
button held down until it's all darkened, then right click and select copy,
go to your address window, right click (the current address should darken)
and hit paste.  Other browsers(than IE)/OS's windows) may differ.
Very intriguing.