Re: bipedality in pterosaurs

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Stanford <dinotracker@earthlink.net>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Sunday, December 10, 2000 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: bipedality in pterosaurs

Then too,
>all pterosaur pes impressions of which I am aware are plantigrade, i.e.,
>with the metatarsals firmly planted on the ground.  Hardly a
>running-sprinting-for-take-off type of situation, it seems.

>    O.K. the analogy is far, far from accurate, but it may not be entirely
>inappropriate.
>
>    Finally, IMHO, Kevin Padian may live to realize (if he hasn't already)
>that his advocacy of bipedal pterosaur locomotion was a less than brilliant
>part of his otherwise brilliant career.
>
>    That just my personal opinion, of course.  But is one wishes to differ,
>show me the trackway.  I will not hold my breath.
>
>    Ray Stanford

Dave Peters has said that all known pterosaur trackways were made by
Ctenochasmatids. These evolved in the late Jurassic. It is my contention
that if pterosaurs were capable of bipedality, it was in the earlier
ramphorynchoid forms.

I would like to know if there are any pterosaur tracks noted from the
Triassic. Can you cite any? Do they show a quadrupedal stance???