Forbes article

A technical error prevented this message from going straight through:

From: Nathan Myhrvold <nathanm@intven.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Forbes article
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 22:26:56 -0800

Given the uproar about private collectors recently, I will mention that the
upcoming issue of Forbes has me on the cover, and an article about me inside
discussing things I collect.  The article is somewhat ambiguous and implies
that I collect dinosaur bones - in fact the dinosaur material that I have is
casts.  I am clarifying this up front in case somebody sees it and thinks I
am stockpiling dinosaur bones.  That isn't the case, but it would be
possible to reach that conclusion from the article.

I do have a number of contemporary animal skulls which I have been using for
comparitive anatomy, and some research I am working on on.  There are photos
of me on the cover, and inside, with these modern skulls.  I tried to
explain the difference between casts and the real thing, and between modern
reptile and mammal skulls versus dinosaurs, but much of this was lost in the
editing process.  Anybody on the list who has dealt with mass market press
can attest to the phemonemon of having careful explanations wind up being
oversimplified.

The article is correct when it says that I sponsor a lot of field
paleontology research.

Nathan