Theropod hips

OK. I`ve been pondering the theropod hip recently, and need some expert help. I have to admitt that I`m not that familiar with directional forces produced by muscles, ligaments etc. In viewing the "triradiate" hip of earlier theropods (pre- maniraptoran), could the muscle-tendon attachments be described as "restraining" the head of the femur into the acetabulm,directing force on the balljoint into the socket...preventing dislocation? Could one say this function exists in addition to swinging the leg to and fro?