Re: THE NOVEMBER 2000 DINO LAND DINOSAUR GAZETTE NEWSLETTER

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Brusatte" <brusatte@theramp.net>
To: <Hellcreek@aol.com>; <brusatte@theramp.net>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 2:51 AM
Subject: THE NOVEMBER 2000 DINO LAND DINOSAUR GAZETTE NEWSLETTER

> In 1999 the second known dinosaur body fossil fragments
> were found near Trieste, near the Yugoslav border, and represent a
> hadrosaur, or duck-billed dinosaur. Despite its lack of bones, Italy is
> home to several well-preserved assemblages of dinosaur footprints

I know, this is late, I just want to add that since 1991, Trieste is near
the Slovenian border and Yugoslavia is now quite far away.

> But, after examining the
> Samotherium skull, Mayor did not find any evidence of a beak, or other
> bird-like characteristics.

Therians, having lost the "egg tooth", can't have a beak principally (as
stated in _Evolutionary Theory_ a few months ago).

Anyway, I'm definitely going to put this book on my wishes list for
Christmas!

> Three thousand years ago, she explained, the Scythian nomads prospected
for
> gold in the western reaches of the Gobi Desert, beyond the Tien Shan and
> Atlai Mountains.

Tian ( = sky, heaven) Shan ( = mountain[s]), Altai (rather, Altay, Altaj or
whatever, because the last letter is a consonant like in yes).

> The king's daughter, Hesione, was sent as a
> sacrifice to the monster, but according to the legend, Heracles arrives in
> time to kill it.

Reminds me of old Arnie... :-)