Re: Pubic boot

> What keeps a theropod`s gait strictly parasagittal. Is it attachments from
the pubic boot to the femur? <

I may certainly have missed something on this, but has anyone claimed that a
theropod's gait is "strictly" parasagittal?

>Hypothetical,....a T-Rex jumps off a 10 ft ledge,...what would keep it`s
legs from bowing out upon landing?<

If a creature's legs were restricted only to motion along the median plane
of its body because of some biomechanical constraint, its legs could not
have bowed out upon landing without tearing tissue or breaking bones.  This
doesn't seem very adaptive to me, so I tend to doubt it was the case. Some
ability to move its legs perpendicular to the parasagittal plane of its body
is extremely likely among any biped, in my opinion.  Such motion seems to me
to be essential to balance the body's mass under a range of situations.
It's an interesting question, though, as to what extent some particular
theropod taxa could have spread its legs after it jumped in order to
stabilize itself upon landing. Given the anatomy of the dinosaur hip, some
difference in range of motion between dinosaurs and mammals could be
expected, I would think.

Pat
"Not everything that can be counted matters, and not everything that matters
can be counted."
Albert Einstein