Re:Details on Protopteryx

I agree completely. The second "p" is not only to be pronounced, but is the syllable that is emphasized: pro-TOP-ter-yx. Names like Lepidoptera and Coleoptera would sound very peculiar if this "p" were silent.
The only silent "p" words I can think of are those which begin with "p", like pterosaur, pneumonia, psychologist, etc.
------Ken
From: "calzola" <calzola@iol.it>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re:Details on Protopteryx
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:45:06 +0100

I think the P should be pronounced, since i've never been tought of the opposite ( at school we study latin) and because i can't find any mention of this particular use on my L-dictionary(mainly for this reason, ok;-).

i also suppose that the word pteryx is greek (never studied Greek though) and a derived form was used by Latins ( for example the latin "Pteron" is surely derived from it[being written in the greek form too on the dictionary], but is used in an architectural context).

So i'd say it would be correct to pronounce the P, but i hope someone else has something to say on this because i'm surely not an expert.

bye

FC

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com