Re: Fukuiraptor (Re: Details on Microraptor)

On the other hand, I fear the name Fukuiraptor will be the source of some jocular mispronunciations (intentional or not). Not familiar with much Japanese, but I would guess it should be: Foo-kwee-RAP-tur.
------Ken
From: NJPharris@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Fukuiraptor (Re: Details on Microraptor)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 03:02:15 EST

In a message dated 12/13/00 3:50:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mickey_Mortimer@email.msn.com writes:

> Eoenantiornis, Protopteryx and Fukuiraptor are coming up this week, so stay
> tuned!

As y'all might have surmised, the last of these is _Fukuiraptor
kitadaniensis_, Azuma and Currie's EK Japanese allosauroid, once thought to
be a dromaeosaur because of its unguals and fused interdental plates.

The paper includes a restoration that looks a _lot_ like _Sinraptor_, but
that may be due to the restoration being mostly based on _Sinraptor_, as
_Fukuiraptor_ is kinda scrappy (pieces are known from a large portion of the
skeleton, but the preservation is not terrific).

Anyhoo, I'll let Mickey fill in the details, since he seems so keen on it!

--Nick Pharris