Re: Fukuiraptor (Re: Details on Microraptor)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Ken Kinman wrote:

>      On the other hand, I fear the name Fukuiraptor will be the source of
> some jocular mispronunciations (intentional or not).  Not familiar with much
> Japanese, but I would guess it should be:  Foo-kwee-RAP-tur.

Using IPA-ASCII (see
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Evan_Kirshenbaum/IPA/faq.html), the first
part should be (Japanese) /Fukui/ (three syllables; first consonant does
not occur in English) and (then Latin) /'r[aptor[/. Of course, this will
probably be Americanized as /'fu<w>kwi<j>,r.&ptR/ or possibly

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
    work, binary files      <mkeesey@dcentgroup.com>
      AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
       ICQ                     <77314901>