Various minor subjects

Long debates have raged here about sabre tooth cats and whether
*Giganotosaurus* and company killed adult BIG sauropods. These issues are
probably relevant for each other -- the sabre tooths are heavily convergent
on plesiomorphic archosaur teeth (long, recurved, flattened side-to-side,
serrated), and sabre tooth cats seem to have been the main predators on the
much larger proboscideans using the same tactics as big theropods: Both
groups probably bit enormous wounds into their prey, which then died of
blood loss etc., regardless of its size. Size is good protection against
being eaten, but whether it is enough depends on the armament and tactics of
the predators that are around, not only on the size of the predators. Like
HP Paul and others say again and again, today's megafauna is greatly
impoverished and therefore not always suitable for comparisons to older
ones.

    Or so I have understood (disclaimer), I'm sure you will correct me if I
got something wrong. (Thanks in advance.) :-)

The above paragraph does, of course, not preclude that sabre tooth cats
additionally used their sabre teeth for intimidation.

>   *Germanodactylus* (which species? One of them is not
> *Germanodactylus*) and other Solenhofen pterosaurs were probably a lot
> different and perhaps for like varieties of gulls; Solenhofen beds
[snip]

Once and for all :-) : Although that e as the 4th letter is frequently used
in English-language publications (and would barely affect pronounciation),
it is wrong. It's Solnhofen.

Tomorrow (or today, depending on where you are: here it's December 15,
23:46) I'll write the long-promised answers (all my old e-mails are gone...)
:-]

"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the precipitate."
(onlist)
        This sayer is great, I study chemistry and biology and will
distribute it next time I sit in the lab...