Re: Various minor subjects

--- David Marjanovic <David.Marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> First I saw it on TV in a 3-part series on the
> origins of modern Carnivora.

(snip)

> Barry Cox, R. J. G. Savage, Brian Gardiner, Colin
> Harrison, Douglas Palmer:
> The Simon & Schuster Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs &
> prehistoric creatures. A
> Visual Who's Who of Prehistoric Life, Simon &
> Schuster 1999
> mentions the following:

You might want to find scholarly references to
predation by saber-toothed cats.  A TV show and a
coffee-table book are not good guides in this.  For
instance, I recall the MacMillan guide (is this now
the Simon and Schuster guide?) expressing amazement
that _Daspletosaurus_ could move at all!  It imagines
that animal painfully limping about, awaiting
extinction to relieve its burden.

Other than ill or trapped animals, I'm not so sure
that live mammoths would be suitable prey for
saber-toothed cats.  Too big and powerful.  Why risk
being killed by your prey animal?  A bison seems like
a more likely ambitious prey animal for _S. fatalis_,
for instance.

And how is a sabertooth's array of teeth even remotely
similar to that of, say, _Giganotosaurus carolinii_?
Please be specific.  Thanks.

=====
Larry

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi Pecuniam omnen mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane
mittam."