From: "Demetrios M. Vital" <vita0015@tc.umn.edu>
To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Kosher dinos
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:40:43 -0600

I just came to a humorous realization. If birds are dinosaurs, then the debate over whether dinsoaurs are kosher has ended. (No, this is not a popular debate) Up until now, dinosaurs have been guaged against the mammal kosher guidelines (cloven hooves and chewing of cud), but seeing as no one took into account the evolutionary relationships, everyone thought dinos were unkosher. But the conundrum now is that no reptile is kosher. So when is a bird not a reptile? Or better yet, when is a dinsoaur not a reptile?

Looks like cladistics won't affect just the scientific community!

Peace out, Demetrios Vital

P.S. I wouldn't lose sleep over this if you eat Kosher (I don't eat Kosher, BTW).