Re: Hello may I join in? (Hawkins)

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:43:03
 Stephen wrote:

>The Crystal Palace dinosaurs were built by Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins
>in 1854.  The Crystal Palace itself was originally erected in Hyde Park
>as the home of the Great Exhibition of 1851.  The Palace was then moved
>to Sydenham (now known as Crystal Palace), where it was used as an
>exhibition centre until it burned to the ground in 1936.  It has been
>described as the Millennium Dome of its day, and the dinosaur figures
>were part of a "prehistoric zone".
>
>In addition to the three dinosaurs (Megalosaurus, Hylaeosaurus and
>Iguanodon) there are models of a mosasaur, an ichthyosaur, some
>plesiosaurs, some labyrinthodonts, and assorted extinct mammals.  They
>are made out of brick, iron and plaster (although the original
>Hylaeosaurus head has been replaced with a fibreglass one).

As most of you probably are aware of, Hawkins was also commissioned to build a
large "Palaeozoic Museum" in New York's Central Park.  The plans were later
killed due to financial reasons, but sculptor Allen Debus made a nice sculpture
a few years back that showed what, based on his research, Hawkins' Central Park
exhibit may have looked like.

You can see a photo of it at:
http://www.geocities.com/stegob/burpeedebusmodel.html

Allen Debus and Steve McCarthy also wrote a nice paper about the project.
Here's a quick ref:

Debus, Allen A. and Steve McCarthy.  A Scene from American Deep Time: New
York's Palaeozoic Museum-Revisited.  The Mosasaur, 6: 105-115.

I read the paper awhile back, and it's a nice account of all of Hawkins' plans,
with a lot of photos.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte
Dino Land Paleontology
http://www.geocities.com/stegob
---

Get FREE Email/Voicemail with 15MB at Lycos Communications at
http://comm.lycos.com