123=234

> >the

> >> Oh,...just a "theory" of mine. (I think I`m the only one who considers
it
> >> possibility!) I should have posted my website that has all the details.
> > If
> > >
> > >Perhaps so young embryos were investigated that the necrotic zone is
> digit
> >VI (compare _Tulerpeton_)... Actually, this is an old idea, I'll dig up
> the
> >reference if someone wishes.
> >

> I don`t think so. They specifically identify the "anterior zone". As a
> matter of fact, they also identify a posterior necrotic zone, and assign
> that to missing digit 5,... I believe.

Digit "VI" was medial to the thumb, just where the pteroid is. (What if the
pteroid is the strangest of all atavisms??? ;-) )

> I just heard something about gene manipulation to trigger dormant genes to
> develop in chickens to produce ancient dinosaurlike features. (I believe
> this was on "Discover channel"...mentioned briefly). If the sequences that
> determine what the necrotic zones might have been actually do exist, it
> would be quite interesting to see if the anterior zone would lead to a
> "pteroid bone" or regular digit. .....It would be even more informative if
> the posterior zone should develop into a large wing digit!!!...8^0!

Of course, only genes that haven't been switched on for millions of years
("pseudogenes") collect mutations that may render them unable to work,
without selective pressure against. So chances are small.

More on bird finger identity later (with ref)...