Re: [Re: Sue(was: Running T. rex)]

Darryl Jones <dinoguy@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> At 12:26 PM 12/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> >Chris Brochu wrote:
> > > And Sue is an "it," not a "she."
> >************************
> >Sue has a feminine nickname.
> >
> >If ship captains can refer to their ships(which certainly is an *it*) in
the
> >feminine gender, we should call Sue, she, if we so desire.
>

> Ships are inanimate objects.  They have no gender.  "Sue" is a
> dinosaur.  It did have gender.  We have no idea what it was/is, despite
> what Pete Larson said originally (the whole "first chevron" stuff).  Chris
> Brochu has studied "Sue" in more detail than any other researcher.  He
> wrote a paper on the specimen that has been eagerly awaited by many (myself

> included) for some time now.  I will read his conclusions and look at the
> evidence he gives for the lack of any gender characteristics in this
> skeleton.  I will compare it to what Pete Larson wrote before the skeleton
> was prepped.  I will see who has the more compelling evidence.  I know who
> I am more inclined to believe, but we shall see.
>
> I am sure Dr. Brochu made the statement he did to try to stop the
> perpetuation of the myth of a definite gender identity in this particular
> specimen.
>
> If you still think "it" should be referred to as "she", state your evidence

> and I will consider it.
>

> Darryl Jones  <dinoguy@sympatico.ca>

I thought that the first chevron criteria was a good one. It was logical from
a biomechanical point of view and we had close dinosaur relatives that shared
it.

Unfortunately this now appears to be dubious. The missing first chevron has
apparently been found, which would make Sue male.

Incidentally I do have a question for Chris. I apologize in advance if you
didn't want this on the list, but it came to me now after reading the previous
e-mail.

You had stated something about not being able to reproduce the first chevron
results in crocodylians. Why exactly is this? Shouldn't this be a simple
matter of X-raying some living crocodiles (and if the money allows it, why not
do all 23 species) to see how it holds up.

Or has that already been done and this is the reason for the doubt?

Jura

Happy _(please select holiday of choice)_!

1) Solstice
2) Christmas
3) Hanukkah
4) Kwanzaa