Re: [Re: [Re: paper request]]

In a message dated 12/29/2000 8:43:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
terminator2029@usa.net writes:

< I have two ideas:

     1.) set up a site like Amazon.com where you can go to pay for the papers,
and the money goes to the people who published it (Nature, JVP, etc., etc.)

         OR

     2.) Someone set up a Internet business site where the owner goes out,
and, for a fee, makes copies of papers and mails them to people.

   Wouldn't either way be legit? >

No.  On no. 1, you would have to have an agreement with those publishers,
rather like a VAR (value added reseller) arrangement.  You would be talking
paying licensing fees, etc., to the authors and publishers. The cost to
possibly get such a contract would be logically set high because you would be
impinging upon the sales of their publications.

On idea no. 2, you could do that until the lawyers for the publications
notify you that you are being sued.  I could not copy my issue of Time each
week and mail it out to my "subscribers" because all of the material is
copyrighted.  Most publications specify that one copy may be made for
_personal use_.  Similarly, I could not copy a video of Disney's "Dinosaur"
and sell those copies privately.  Same thing.

Sorry, but unless the material is already available on the web, you are are
going to have to a) go to the library, b) subscribe, or c) convince someone
who has the paper that you have not been able to get it in any other way and
would be willing to pay him for the time and effort it took him to get the
paper originally.  There is no free dinosaur lunch.

As I had posted previously today--and Mike Keesey wrote--abstracts may be put
on the web, along with urls.  That will alert interested persons as to what
has been published and where.

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com