From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Status of _Caudipteryx_
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 20:28:55 -0800 (PST)

Eric Lurio (at ELurio@aol.com) wrote:

<Not neccessarily. The so-called "flying lemurs" are primitively
flightless, and I've read that they may be closely related to fruit
bats.>

  There is no such thing as a primitively or "primarily" flightless
organism, because no animal trends towards a state with the intent to
reach it, such as the ability to fly. Appling a possible conclusion
doesn't mean the a posteriori conclusion applies to an organism. Okay
... dinosaurs are not primarily flightless, and no dinosaur will be,
even birds.

  End rant,

=====
Jaime A. Headden