Re: [Re: paper request]

-----Original Message-----
From: MKIRKALDY@aol.com <MKIRKALDY@aol.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Friday, December 29, 2000 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Re: paper request]

>Anyone who wants to see a Nature or Science paper can:
>- Subscribe (student rates are very low)
>- Go to the library and read the journal/make a personal copy
>- Order a paper (Science will fax you a paper for $8.00 or send you that
>edition of the journal for $8.00.)
>
>As Tracy wrote, everything is not going to be available on the web, and
>finding the papers may even be good for you.  Dare we say that it might
even
>be called research?
>
>Mary
>mkirkaldy@aol.com

Well,...I gues it just boils down to a question of money! $8 per article
just seems rather steep.And in this day and age of computers and the
internet, all this data should be more readily available to the public. I
can`t see how going through stacks of printed journals could possibly be
"good for you"! OK,...perhaps  if we`re going to continue living in the
past, and college students will continue to have to do it this way for years
to come but it certainly isn`t progress, and the absence of progress seems,
(to me), not good.

Perhaps a compromise would be for all libraries with computers to have
access to these papers. These institutions reimbursing the journals for the
priviledge. Perhaps they in turn could charge on a 25 cent per page basis.
Maybe these journals would generate more income for themselves, if they made
access more available to people like me who live in small towns.

Research should be investigating what`s out there as far as subject matter.
It shouldn`t be figuring out how to obtain material that is known to exist!
(OK,...I`m done ranting on this topic).