Re: Status of _Caudipteryx_

ELurio@aol.com wrote:

> Well, it [insert - flying lemur] isn't EXACTLY "flightless, full-stop,"(it can
> glide, which is sort
> of flying)

>From this, I gather that your definition of 'flying' means that the animal must
be able to maintain altitude.  Any gliding animal can maintain altitude when
local convective or orographic lift or energy available from local wind shear
exceeds their sink rate.  Does this mean that they become flyers whenever by
happenstance, atmospheric lift is greater than their sink rate?  If so, then
flying lemurs are indeed flyers.  If not, then animals which gain altitude in
local lift and convert the additional potential energy to glide to the next
source of local lift are not flyers.  Thus, nonflyers would include buzzards,
frigate birds, albatrosses, and some pterosaurs, among others.  Is this your
intent, or am I misreading you?

Cheers,

Jim