Re: Status of _Caudipteryx_

In a message dated 12/29/00 10:39:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

>   I'm sorry, but in an evolutionary scenario, you can know an end
>  product, only in the present sense. We could be primitively aquatic,
>  but you wouldn't say this unless you _knew_ of a product that became
>  aquatic that stemmed from _us_.

I think we have a confusion of nomenclature here.  What is meant by
"primitively flightless" or "primitively aquatic" is that

a) the organism or clade in question is flightless (or aquatic), and
b) the immediate ancestors of that organism or clade were flightless (or
aquatic).

It does NOT mean that the organism is flightless in a primitive way, and that
its descendants are destined become more flightless.

--Nick P.