Re: natatory Geochelone

There was an article (in the most recent DinoFest volume, I think) that discussed marine dinosaur occurences (in particular those in Alabama). It suggested that the marine dinosaur remains represent carcasses that floated oceanward. One of the supporting bits of evidence was that extremities are often missing (toes, limbs, etc.), suggesting scavenging by predatory fish or sharks.

Of course, an aquatic or semi-aquatic ankylosaur still wouldn't surprise me too much. They are at least superficially similar to hippos--low to the ground and barrel shaped.

--Andy Farke

From:  Dinogeorge@aol.com

Don't laugh. A considerable number of ankylosaur specimens occur in >marine<
deposits--more, perhaps than any other kind of dinosaur. The nodosaur that
Tracy Ford is presently working on for the San Diego Museum of Natural
History is a typical example.

From: "TRUETT GARNER" <DINOBOY@worldnet.att.net>

I can't find the ref at the moment , but I definitely remember reading
about several ankylosaurids being found in marine formations in the western
U.S. If memory serves me , they were found a good distance from any known
ancient shoreline and were preserved on their backs.
Regards ,
Truett Garner