RE: natatory Geochelone

A little e-mail mix up. This is for the entire list from Tracy.

From: "Tracy Ford" <tlford@ix.netcom.com>
To: <rob_redwing@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: natatory Geochelone
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 02:43:16 -0700

>I can't find the ref at the moment , but I definitely remember reading
>about several ankylosaurids being found in marine formations in the western
>U.S. If memory serves me , they were found a good distance from any known
>ancient shoreline and were preserved on their backs.
Yeah, I've read about that too. Would it be possible that this is because
these animals got somehow swept out to sea, and then died of starvation, in
the middle of the ocean. Their bodies would swell, and then burst, leaving
no buoyancy. The animal would sink and tip over onto it's back (presuming that the back is heavier due to the armor plating, and the lack of
flotation, since the guts have sank and rotted). Thus, you would end up with an ankylosaur on it's back in a marine layer.
Now, if I could explain how the anky got washed out to sea in the first
place...<<

One of the on going lists that I have are of dinosaurs found in Marine
deposits. I've counted about 40 nodosaurids and 3 or more ankylosaurids.
They are the second most abundant dinosaur found in marine deposits with
hadrosaurs being the most (both Hadrosaurids and Lambeosaurids). All the
Scelidosaurus specimens are from marine deposits. Also Emausaurus. A few
stegosaurs, a ceratopian, various sauropods and theropods.
If anyone was at my talk at Dinofest a few years ago (the one about the
'nodosaur' from San Diego) I showed a picture of it swimming in a lagoonal area like a hippo. I'm still looking into this...
Tracy