'SERPENTINE LACERTIDS'

Just a quick note re: the 'non  -serpentine lacertid' thread.. lacertids are a
specific Old World group of scincomorph lizards (they are lacertoid
scincomorph scincogekkonomorph sclerroglossans actually) related to
skinks, cordylids and teiids: 'lacertid' should not be used to mean
'lizard'. The group regarded as 'the lizard group' by most people is the
Lacertilia (an alternative name, Sauria, is now used as a far more
inclusive clade of diapsids). Whether Lacertilia includes Serpentes (and
Amphisbaenia) depends on your take on squamatan phylogeny.

On a related topic, something I've been meaning to ask for a while:
when people refer to Gauthier as 'the famous French explorer', are they
referring to his figurative exploration of the animal kingdom, or does
he really go climbing up mountains and stuff? Norell and de Queiroz
even named the Miocene iguanian _Armandisaurus explorator_ in
honour of this trait (Armand is Gauthier's middle name). In a similar
vein, _Simosuchus clarki_ got me thinking: why has no one ever
named a taxon after Mike Benton? Or have they?

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building