Re: Non-serpentine lacertids (was RE:WHAT'S GOING ON?)

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000 ELurio@aol.com wrote:

> It works perfectly for exent forms.

Not really. When one "order" contains the single species of ostrich and
another "order" contains the majority of animalian species (Coeloptera),
you know something has to be wrong.

Thene there are other issues, like obscuring crocodylians' closer
relationship to birds than to lepidosaurs, or tarsiers' closer
relationship to simians than to lemurs & lorises, etc.

> That's why it lasted so long as a system.  The simple question is, is
> if by some chance someone found a real "lost world" would a Maniraptor
> be considered a bird or a reptile [in the traditional sense] by the
> people who found it running after them.

Linnaean taxonomy would be unclear. Phylogenetic taxonomy would not.

> I'm pretty sure that a field guide to cretecous west-america would list the
> types of animals [class-wise] quite differently.

Full agreement.

T. Michael Keesey <tmk@dinosauricon.com> | AIM <Ric Blayze> | ICQ <77314901>
                 My Worlds <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>
                 The Dinosauricon <http://dinosauricon.com>