Re: Feasting on large dead animals... Re: Suchomimus Photos Posted Online

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 20:17:20
 Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette wrote:
>The only problem with the idea of one animal lasting for a long time is...
>well.... refrigeration.
>
>Under normal primitive circumstances yer average animal rots in about a day.
>Not to mention various other animals and insects that might also be interested
>in the stinky old carcass as well.
>
>This is one of the reasons that hunters all the way up to the middle of the
>20th century killed lots and lots of animals on game expeditions: they had to
>eat them that day because otherwise the meat would spoil. So they had to shoot
>more animals the next day. Didn't matter how big the animal was or how hungry
>the hunters... no portable iceboxes.

I probably should have made it a point to mention this in my previous post.

Obviously a brachiosaur carcass could not stay fresh for an entire year :-),
but what I was trying to imply was this: theropod dinosaurs did not eat as much
meat as some people may think.  We were debating on how Suchomimus could
evolve, living along the water with other giant crocodilians.  I brought up the
point that, in fact, Suchomimus did not have to spend that much time in the
water after all, as it would likely only need to hunt about 200 times a year
(if that).  Of course, if it was full after eating a giant fish, then the
carcass of that fish would not stay fresh forever, unless buried in a
glacier........

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct