Re: ['SERPENTINE LACERTIDS']

Mike Keesey wrote-

> Lacertilia is certainly paraphyletic, but Serpentes could certainly be
> used. I think Ophidia is the name for the clade of snakes, though.

This seems like a good time to ask a question I've been wondering about for
quite some time.  Can someone please explain the difference between:
Ophidia and Serpentes
Gymnophiona and Apoda
Urodela and Caudata
Anura and Salientia
Chelonia and Testudines
They were synonymous for quite some time, but I'm sure modern phylogenetic
taxonomy has something to say about them now, judging by the speed at which
clade names are defined these days.

Mickey Mortimer