RE: Non-serpentine lacertids (was RE:WHAT'S GOING ON?)

At 02:20 AM 04/07/2000 -0700, Tracy Ford wrote:
Not really. When one "order" contains the single species of ostrich and
another "order" contains the majority of animalian species (Coeloptera),
you know something has to be wrong.

Why? If the category represents a degree of phylogenetic distinctiveness, then it shouln't matter at all how many species it contains. There are other reasons for objecting to "Order" as a category but this doesn't strike me as one of them.

After all, by that criterion Insects should be split into many phyla, even if the result would include groups with much lower levels of difference than (say) Molluscs and Cycliophorans (the latter being an entire phylum with one known member).
--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court