PALEONEWS: the Wollemi Pine, a living fossil

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0007/01/features/wollemi8.html
(excerpt)
 'Not for one minute did I think it was a flowering plant, and that was
critical. If he'd said it had bloody flowers on it I would have been
extremely surprised. He brought in a fairly dried, juvenile leaf
specimen with three stages of growth. Then he said it had bubbly bark.
Coco Pops bark came soon after.' Jones continued to run through the
possibilities. 'This thing was a bloody great tree and it was fern-like.
So I thought it was the biggest bloody fern in the world. That's not
stupid because some of the old fern-like plants were huge trees as big
or bigger than any weve got now.'
--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com