Re: _Pyroraptor_

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 ELurio@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/7/00 12:41:50 PM, NJPharris@aol.com writes:
>
> << Incidentally, this is, to my knowledge, the first dinosaur name containing
> a click phoneme (q).
>
> Nick P >>
>
> I thought the click phoneme was spelled "!"

There are several click phones. Anyway, scientific names have to be
latinized -- no characters other than "a" - "z". No diacritics, no
hyphens, no ligatures, and no non-Latin phonetic symbols (like "!").
I'm guessing the "q" is a Latin approximation of or substitution for "!".

So how are people gonna pronounce this thing?

T. Michael Keesey <tmk@dinosauricon.com> | AIM <Ric Blayze> | ICQ <77314901>
                 My Worlds <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>
                 The Dinosauricon <http://dinosauricon.com>