RE: Palms in

At 03:06 AM 08/07/2000 -0700, Scott Hartman wrote:
This is taken to an extreme in allosaurs, which seem to have modified the distal end of the ulna and radius in order to reduce mobility around the long axis of the forearm. Why did they do this?

I speculated here a while back that one advantage of inward-directed, non-pronating forearms could be their use in a strike equivalent to a pair of ice tongs, with the hands striking together towards the midline. The loss of pronation could, in such a strike, decrease the chance of slippage. Is there any functional evidence that the arms worked in this way?

And, while we are on this, is Tyrannosaurus in the same boat?
--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court