Re: Pygostyles in Pterosaurs

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaime A. Headden <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Saturday, July 08, 2000 7:11 AM
Subject: Re: Pygostyles in Pterosaurs

>  Just a few additional comments and a correction:
>
>I wrote:
>
><Also, *Anurognathus*, like all other dimorphodontids
>and "rhamphorhynchoids" did not have a pygostyle,>
>
>  Larry Febo wrote of the pygostyle of a anurognath, I
>assume, based on the Dave Peter's restoration online;
>looking at the restoration on the web, I can see where
>the confusion arose: the original restoration is much
>better quality and detailed, I'm sure, and translation
>to a low-res digital form for the net obscures some
>details, such as the fine lines between caudals and so
>on. There is not fault, here, dude.

Actually,....I got the impression that it was a true pygostyle from
Wellnhofer`s book, where he describes it`s tail as ...."reduced to a short
stump, similar to the Parson`s  nose or pygostyle of modern birds." He even
lables it "pygostyle" in the diagram (pg 93  Prehistoric Flying Reptiles).
He does not indicate any "missing parts". It`s a fairly old book (1991).
Prehaps someone else has decided since then  that it has a longer tail???