Re: Palms in

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Hartman <scott_hartman@hotmail.com>
To: mbonnan@hotmail.com <mbonnan@hotmail.com>; dinosaur@usc.edu
<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Saturday, July 08, 2000 6:06 AM
Subject: RE: Palms in

>I have to agree with Matt (and Serano, well I'm at it) that many, if not
>most theropods couldn't pronate the palmar side of their manus ventrally.
>This is taken to an extreme in allosaurs, which seem to have modified the
>distal end of the ulna and radius in order to reduce mobility around the
>long axis of the forearm.  Why did they do this?  >     Of course, there is
yet another "why" here, specifically: Why would an
>allosaur want to do this?

(snip)

  At the time, I was working with Bob Bakker on
>Nail Quarry out at Como Bluff.  The taphonomy of the quarry suggested that
>juvenile allosaurs were regularily feeding on large animals (mostly
>sub-adult sauropods) to the exclusion of crocodillians and non-allosaur
>theropods.  So he  speculated that the quarry may represent a "lair," or
>some place were juvenile allosaurs were waiting for an adult to bring home
>the Apatosaurus bacon.  Naturally this dovetailed nicely with my work.  I
>balk, however, at commiting myself to this kind of (what, 17th level
>inference?) behavioral hypothesis without better support.

It is also suspected now that T. Rex also cared for it`s young in such a
way. How then did it "bring home the bacon"?....Either many trips, or it
used it`s mouth,....(perhaps regurgitated food).  I still think a better
explaination for such  restricted movement in theropods in general is a
cause of their being secondarily flightless. Once specialized for flight,
such bone structure would be hard to unmodify for other uses.