Re: Palms in

Luis wrote:

>The semilunate bone helps the perfect sideways motion of the hand. That
shows that most raptor restorations (including Jurassic Park) with their
mammal-like arms and hands are wrong.<

I'm still not clear about the relationship between the radius/ulnar and the
semilunate carpals with respect to the "palms in" attitude of the hands and
the "sidways" motion Luis refers to above, although that's my general
question.

>That shows that most raptor restorations (including Jurassic Park) with
their mammal-like arms and hands are wrong.<

Did you catch the brief scene in WWD in which the juvenile Utahraptor stood
atop a prey animal and squawked(?) at the adults who were hogging the food?
In a very natural looking and convincing fashion, it alternatively folded
its arms and hands against its body in birdlike fashion then extended its
arms and slashed with its claws with a "prey capture" type of motion
described by others on this list  It was the most natural looking video
depiction of this possible function that I've seen so far...

PTN