ANURA, APODA, CHELONIA etc.

Had a busy weekend with the final proofs of the WWD book. Last
week sometime Mickey Mortimer asked...

> Can someone please explain the difference between:
> Ophidia and Serpentes
> Gymnophiona and Apoda
> Urodela and Caudata
> Anura and Salientia
> Chelonia and Testudines

As Mickey notes, various workers have recently taken to using both
avialable names for these groups: one for the crown group, the other
for the crown group + fossil outgroups. For reasons of brevity, I here
use the acronym ATDOTMRCA for 'all the descendants of the most
recent common ancestor'. Ophidia Brongniart 1800, for example, was
defined by Lee and Caldwell (1998) for the clade that included
ATDOTMRCA of Pachyophiidae + all other snakes while Serpentes
Linnaeus 1758 is ATDOTMRCA of scolecophidians +
alethinophidians (i.e. crown group Ophidia). Obviously (as Matt T is
no doubt about to remind me) not everyone agrees with Lee and
Caldwell that pachyophiids are basal ophidians... in which case Ophidia
and Serpentes would be synonymous (or one of the names would be
redundant).

Similarly, Lee (1995, 1997) uses Chelonia Macartney 1802 for
ATDOTMRCA of _Proganochelys_ + Rhaptochelydia (australochelids
+ testudines); and Testudines Linnaeus 1758 for ATDOTMRCA of
pleurodires and cryptodires. I believe the latter is the same group
named Casochelydia by Gaffney.

Anura Linnaeus 1758 is the oldest name for frogs and was applied by
Evans and Borsuk-Bialynicka (1998) to the frog crown group. Various
outgroups to Anura - _Triadobatrachus_, _Czaktobatrachus_,
_Vieraella_ and _Notobatrachus_ - were then united with Anura into
the Salientia Laurenti 1768. I guess Evans and Borsuk-Bialynicka
(admittedly, I don't know if they were the first to do this) excluded
_Triadobatrachus_ etc. from Anura because doubts have occasionally
been expressed as to whether or not these taxa are frogs s.s. - thus it
seems wise to use the less popular name (Salientia in this case) for the
clade that includes these taxa. If you know better please tell me. Oh
yeah, Anura has been defined as ATDOTMRCA of _Prosalirus_ +
living frogs.

I honestly don't know if strict definitions have been applied to Urodela
and Caudata, or to Apoda and Gymnophiona. All recent texts I've seen
use the terms Caudata and Gymnophiona - if Urodela and Apoda have
been erected for more inclusive clades (e.g. hypothetically Urodela
could be _Karaurus_ + Caudata or something similar), it's news to me.
Even _Eocaecilia_ (the most basal caecilian AFAIK) is still put within
Gymnophiona by those authors that mention it.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building