Re: documentarian seeks direction and advice

----- Original Message -----
From: <ELurio@aol.com>
To: <steve@delhallvideo.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: documentarian seeks direction and advice

> In a message dated 7/10/00 9:08:37 AM, steve@delhallvideo.com writes:
>
> << I have been working with the huge media barrage of T-Rex Sue coverage
and
> the claims and theories that I've been listening to have inspired me to do
> some preliminary research on the theories and facts that exist about
> dinosaurs and how scientists arrive at those theories. >>
>
> You should concentrate more on the fact that the person who dug the damn
> thing out of the ground was thrown in jail, and how some groups want to be
> greedy and keep all the fossils for themselves.

I agree that the entire debacle surrounding Sue's ownership is a shame. I am
angry at how unjust the whole thing was, and I'm not even a paleontologist.
>From the rules regarding this listerve, I understand that the sale and
exchange of fossils is a very touchy subject.

The last ten years of Sue's "life" would certainly make for an interesting
documentary, but I'm really interested in the science behind what we believe
about dinosaurs. Certainly the theories have changed over the years and many
have been disproven or revised. How do we know the current theories are
correct? Are there any really big, highly-charged controversies over given
theories? I would guess so.