Re: Sauropod Neck

Does the design of the neck vertebra permit little in the way of
flexiblity?

Would sauropods expend so much energy to aquire low energy food?

I see only about 45 degrees of arc (side to side or and up and down) if
the mounts of (non-brachiosaur) sauropods are correct.  I see sauropods as
constantly moving foragers (browsing on whatever plants they approach).

Trackways attributed to sauropods suggest herding behavior, so masses of
animals on the move (in about the same direction) have little opportunity
for or need of a wider degree of arc for browsing.  And there is the
"knock-down" the tree method of getting to the canopy of leaves.  Just
strip, swallow and move on.

John Schneiderman