Re: Sauropod Necks

But real size matters because volume and thus weight increases by an cubic
function. An animal ten times as large weighs 10*10*10 = 1000 times more.

Cross-section areas grow only by an square function, in this case it would
mean an increase of area of 10*10 = 100.

This also means that forces on a given area would increase tenfold. Thats why
dogs and horses are able to jump while elephants would break their legs doing
so.

So regarding how sauropods were able to bend their necks giraffes are a far
better comparison due to their size.

Cheers

Heinz Peter Bredow

Betty Cunnigham wrote