Re: Sauropod Necks

>While I applaud the efforts of anyone who has ever taken on the task of
>putting up a sauropod skeleton mount, it is often times difficult to
>manipulate more than one section of a limb or neck at a time, because the
>material is both heavy and fragile.  I have no doubts that Ken Carpenter
was
>extremely careful and judicious in his mounting of Diplodocus hayi at
>Denver.  However, it would have been impossible for him or anyone to have
>taken the entire series of cervical vertebrae and moved them as a whole
into
>various poses.

    Using a computer generated model to simulate sauropod neck movements was
a neat idea.  Obviously, you don't have as much freedom to play around with
the real thing, but my point was simply that the DMNH mount demonstrates
that it is possible to articulate the neck vertebrae (in at least one
specimen of Diplodocus) to get the head well above the horizontal without
dislocating the zygapophyses, because the head is high up and the
zygapophyses are articulating.  I haven't read Stevens and Peter's paper,
and I wasn't personally involved with helping to mount the sauropod neck, so
I can't explain the descrepency.

LN Jeff

When you have nothing to say, say nothing.
-Charles Caleb Colton

The reason why we have two ears and one mouth is that we may listen the more
and talk the less.
-Zeno of Citium
Jeffrey W. Martz
3002 4th St. #C26