Re: Sauropod Necks

Rachel A Hyde  <rachelahyde@ntlworld.com> muses:

> Hmmm...I thought that the latest theory was that long-necked
> dinosaurs didn't stretch up to take leaves from high branches as the
> heart wouldn't pump blood all that way vertically?

I don't know about *the* latest theory, but the last two sentences
from the Parrish and Stevens paper we've been discussing (which is
more than a year old already :-) are:

     Moreover, the presence of a near horizontal neck in diplodocids
     renders moot the problem of supplying blood to an elevated
     sauropod brain. Rather than flexing their necks like dinosaurian
     counterparts of giraffes or swans, they appear to have fed more
     like giant, long-necked bovids.

--
Mickey Rowe     (rowe@psych.ucsb.edu)