MAMMAL NECK VERTS

Matt Bonnan wrote...

> All mammals have only 7 cervical vertebrae

_Giraffa_ has 8 - some sloths and sirenians have anything between 5
and 9! However, these are like four exceptions out of at least 5000
species (that's the 4500-odd extant mammals plus some of the better
known fossil ones).

Regarding neck mobility in non-diplodocoid sauropods, Kent Stevens
presented new work on _Brachiosaurus_ and a long-necked
euhelopodid (can't remember which genus - probably _Euhelopus_) at
the SVPCA meeting in Edinburgh last year. I briefly wrote this up for
DML so it's in the archives somewhere. I don't know how long it is
before this sees publication. As well as Jeff Wilson's objections
mentioned at SVP in Denver, Paul Upchurch had a www
communication to _Science_ about the Parrish and Stevens' study.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building