Crocodile pubes

    Ken Kinman was asking about references regarding the "hepatic piston" breathing system in crocodilians.   I just got:

Carrier, D. R., & Farmer, C.G. 2000. The evolution of pelvic aspiration in archosaurs.  Paleobiology 26(2) 271-293

This paper also references:

Farmer, C.G., & Carrier, D.R. 2000. Pelvic aspiration in the American alligator (Alligator mississipiensis).  Journal of Experimental Biology.

    Have only skimmed it as of yet, so I can't comment, but the authors claim to have proven in the second paper that the flexible pubis in crocodilians DOES have move and have a role in respiration, contarary to the responses to GS Paul made by Reuben's team in:
http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/misc/lungs.html

LN Jeff

When you have nothing to say, say nothing.
-Charles Caleb Colton

The reason why we have two ears and one mouth is that we may listen the more and talk the less.
-Zeno of Citium
Jeffrey W. Martz
3002 4th St. #C26
Lubbock, TX