Re: Re[Re:Sauropod Neck]

Dave Krentz wrote:

<Did anyone recall Jeff Wilson's talk at SVP where he
showed a picture of a camel bending it's neck all the
way over it's back so that it's head was litterally
upside down and staring at it's own behind? He made a
mention about the fact that if we were to judge a
camels neck motion based on it's cervical vertebrae
and zygopotheses and all the methodology that we are
judging sauropod neck motion by, then that camel could
not do that. Yet it did.>

  I would like to know if he articulated the
cervicals, or surmised without study of the verts. I
do not deny Wilson's superior knowledge of sauropods
over mine, but there are some sauropods (namely
"euhelopodids", esp. *Omeisaurus*) that have cervical
ribs progressing over three cervical lengths (almost
10ft. in *Mamenchisaurus*?) that would have seriously
hindered vertical or lateral curvature unless these
bony robs were more flexible than ordinary bone of
such thickness. I do understand that study of these
rods is taking place, and a histology mighht yield the
answer to flexibility.

  Of course, I would have also liked to have been at
that particular meeting, but....

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden