Re: Sauropod Necks

--- Larry Febo <larryf@capital.net> wrote:

> Anyway,...I also wanted to mention that there might
> be a possible connection
> between the many "missing heads" of diplodocus
> fossils, and the fact that
> they might have been bitted clean off by large
> predators as an easy method
> of dispatch.

Wouldn't we then expect a corresponding increase in
the number of sauropod heads found as theropod stomach
contents?  Heh heh.

I understand that the skulls are often missing because
the little head would wash/be carried away when the
animal was decomposing or was otherwise easily lost
after fossilization.

> ....this
> might also indicate the hight of predators not yet
> found when studying the
> likes of Supersaurus, Seismosaurus,Ultra....(what`s
> the largest diplodocid
> again???).

I believe that the largest specimen of diplodocid was
a _Seismosaurus_.

=====
Larry

"I've been ionized, but I'm OK now."