Re: Sauropod ancestry?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 HPB1956@aol.com wrote:

> There's not very much known about the digits of the very first prosauropods.
> If sauropods split from prosauropods at an early stage in history there may
> have been a redevelopment like in therizinosaurids.

My point was that the situations aren't that analogous. Theropoda never
lost that digit (except for Ornithomimosauria), it was just reduced to
dewclaw status. Thus, Therizinosauroidea didn't "re-evolve" a digit.

I second the query about early sauropodomorphan pedal digits. I'm not
entirely convinced that Prosauropoda is monophyletic, either (although a
good chunk of Prosauropoda being monophyletic seems likely).

T. Michael Keesey <tmk@dinosauricon.com> | AIM <Ric Blayze> | ICQ <77314901>
                 My Worlds <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>
                 The Dinosauricon <http://dinosauricon.com>