RE: eggshells, therizinosaurs & tyrannosaurs

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Ken Kinman
>
>      But so far, it sounds as though the "ornithoid" eggshell
> morphology is
> characteristic of primitive birds (including enantiornithines and living
> ratites) and the "non-avian" maniraptoran theropods (troodonts and
> oviraptors, and presumably dromaeosaurs by inference).

We do have to remember, though, that even within clades (such as Squamata or
Aves) you can get different shell structure morphology.

>      Since Therizinosaurs have the primitive dinosauroid eggshells, this
> seems to support Sereno's exclusion of that group from Maniraptora.  If
> Sereno is correct in placing tyrannosaurs as the immediate
> outgroup of the
> Maniraptora (sensu stricto),

You mean "sensu Sereno".  Maniraptora sensu stricto is "modern birds and all
taxa closer to modern birds than to Ornithomimidae": see Gauthier 1986.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite