Re: Digital Duplications (A Case for an Ichthyologist?)

In a message dated 7/19/00 5:53:50 AM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< This is what is meant by suggesting the
 sauropod fifth digit is not basal, as all bracketing
 groups lack the digit (theropodans, plateosaurians and
 other "prosauropods," and ornithischians) and thus
 (1st level inference) sauropods should not have a
 fifth pedal digit. They do. >>

This is where I part company with everyone else. I don't think there's enough
evidence that the groups everyone thinks bracket the dinosaurs actually do
bracket the dinosaurs. Things work out better if the sauropods bracket all
the other dinosaurs. Try looking at things that way for a while. It grows on
you.